Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Entry #2

The first assignment is all about logic that is covered in chapter 1 and 2. Since I have learned most of logic symbol and logical rules in MAT137 last year, in general the first assignment is not that hard for me. However, there are few questions which bother me.  First, since Danny asks us to type the assignment in a pdf or a word, I find that it is hard to type the logical symbols. I spend almost one hour trying to figure out how to type them in a word document. Finally, I find there is a feature called equation, which allows me to type all the symbols. It is very helpful and convenient. Second, the fourth question takes me some time, since I feel it is difficult to find a counterexample.

 First step, I try to find difference between the two statements.

Clearly, the first statement is an implication, and the second statement is a conjunction. If p is true, then Q is true. If P is False, Q is also true. However, P is false, then I can immediately conclude that the conjunction is false, because conjunction is false when there is at least one predicate is false.


After I analyze these two statements. I can solve this problem by finding an example that P is false and Q is true.

Logic is very interesting and I enjoy spending time solving logical problems.



No comments:

Post a Comment